If you haven’t already planned for your child’s Camp experience this summer the time is NOW! One of the best ways for you to make a decision about Summer Camp is to visit Everwood Day Camp on an Open House day. Here are some thoughts about getting the most out of your Open House visit!
1. Review marketing materials and make a list of questions. If you don’t have a brochure please click here and we’ll get one to you ASAP. In the meantime, much of the information you’ll need is online and you can go ahead and click all over our site! Visit www.EverwoodDayCamp.com for more information. When you’re ready, sit with your child and look through the information in detail, and generate a list of questions you may have for Dane and I (your Camp Directors) together. You might be surprised about the things your child will wonder about! Perhaps they’re wondering what time they eat lunch? Or…What exactly is GAGA anyway? Bring that list of questions with you and make sure they are all answered before you leave the Open House!
2. Shake hands with as many Everwood Staff members as you can. One of the biggest benefits of attending an Open House is not only meeting Dane and I, but also getting to see some of our staff in action. We pride ourselves on our ability to recruit and hire only exceptional men and women, who demonstrate the skill-set to be phenomenal camp counselors. And at our Open Houses, you can meet them, and they will introduce themselves to your children and engage them in fun activities including games, arts and crafts and of course… GAGA!
3. Go on a Tour. During the day of an Open House, Dane and I are constantly running group tours of our camp property. We’ll show you program areas, our camper cabins, talk about our program, and give you a “behind the scenes” look at some of our big upcoming projects. It’s important for you to get the “big picture” of our facility and how your child will access it on a day-to-day basis. Don’t be afraid to ask questions on the tour, because very likely someone else in the group will have the same one. And if you miss a group tour don’t worry, they leave every 20 minutes or so.
4. Participate in Open House activities. Encourage your children to participate in all the different activities available at the Open House. Children often feel most comfortable when entering an unfamiliar environment if they can engage in interactive activities. While of course we want to be sure we answer all parents’ questions about our program, we also want your child to feel welcome and have fun. Our Open House is just as much for your child to learn about Everwood as it is for you!
5. Come to as many Open Houses as you can! Open Houses are a great way for you to familiarize yourself with Everwood Day Camp, our program, our facility, and our staff. In addition, you can meet other members of our Everwood Day Camp Community. Typical attendance at an open house is a combination of enrolled families and prospective families. As a Open House attendee, you can continue to build your relationships with Dane and I (and the rest of the Camp staff), and you can make connections with other families who are already part of our community. In addition prospective campers can meet and play with other prospective campers and begin to build their relationships even before the Summer begins! As we are constantly making facility updates, you’ll have a front row seat to all of the changes, and have new things to see each visit. In addition, as the weather warms up we will open different activity areas in camp, including our street hockey oval, and basketball court.
As a camp director, I must tell you that I LOVE Open House days. The energy and excitement felt in a group of people, anticipating a summer full of amazing adventures, is palpable!